Cinnamon oil obtained by supercritical co2 extraction of the bark, branches and leaves of Cinnamomum cassia Presl of the Lauraceae plant.
It has the effects of dispelling rheumatism, warming the spleen and stomach. It is commonly used for rheumatism and skin itching, yang deprivation of the spleen and stomach, cold limbs, weak pulse, cold accumulation of the stomach and abdomen, abdominal pain, diarrhea, cold hernia, and cold hernia.
- Source of medicine: pump oil obtained by CO2rjbc from bark, branches and leaves.
- Nature and flavor: spicy, sweet, hot in nature.
- Return meridian: return to the spleen and stomach meridian.
- Efficacy: dispel rheumatism, warm the spleen and stomach.
- It is used for rheumatism and cold skin, yang deprivation of the spleen and stomach, weak limbs, cold accumulation of abdominal abdomen, diarrhea, cold hernia, etc.
It is a yellow or yellow liquid with a special spread of cinnamon. It tastes sweet and pungent. It may form in the air for a long time. The color gradually becomes darker.
Why CO2 extraction?
The Co2 extraction method is used for extracting a range of aromatic compounds as compared to any other distillation process.
Co2 is pressurized to form a liquid which then acts like a solvent and used for oil extraction from the plant. On completion of the extraction process, the extraction vessel is brought to normal temperature back. Co2 is converted to gas and all that is left behind it top quality cinnamon oil devoid of any solvents.
In the Super Critical Fluid Extraction – SCFE process the solvent is used above its critical pressure and temperature. This process helps improve quality of the oil extract. Active components are contained in high concentration in it, devoid of microbial and biological contaminants or residual solvent. Molecules have synergistic bio-activity remain preserved in it.
Cinnamon oil contains cinnamyl aldehye as the main constituent and is extracted by the CO2 extraction method from the bark of the cinnamon evergreen tree. Cinnamomum cassia blume is its botanical name.
Cinnamon oil has strong aroma and is a dark and clear yellowish to brown liquid with medium consistency. It has a spicy, pleasant and warm scent between cinnamon and clove. Essential oils it blends well with are ylang ylang, frankincense, neroli, lemon, lavender, orange and cedarwood.
Supercritical CO2 extraction of Cinnamon essential oil
Supercritical CO2 extraction is a widely used method for extracting cinnamon essential oil from cinnamon bark (Cinnamomum verum or Cinnamomum cassia). Cinnamon essential oil is known for its distinctive aroma and various potential health benefits. Supercritical CO2 extraction offers several advantages over other extraction methods, including its ability to efficiently extract volatile compounds while maintaining their quality and minimizing the use of harsh solvents.
CO2 extraction process of cinnamon essential oil
The process of supercritical CO2 extraction of cinnamon essential oil typically involves the following steps:
- Preparation of Cinnamon Bark: Cinnamon bark is harvested from the cinnamon tree and dried to an appropriate moisture level. The bark is then ground or crushed to increase the surface area, facilitating the extraction process.
- Loading the Extraction Vessel: The prepared cinnamon bark is loaded into an extraction vessel or chamber designed to withstand high pressure. The vessel is sealed to create a closed system.
- Extraction: Supercritical CO2 is introduced into the extraction vessel, where it acts as a solvent to extract the desired compounds, including the volatile constituents responsible for the aroma and therapeutic properties, from the cinnamon bark. The supercritical CO2 penetrates the bark matrix and selectively dissolves the target compounds, leaving behind non-volatile components.
- Separation: After the extraction process, the supercritical CO2 containing the dissolved compounds is transferred to a separation unit. Here, the pressure is reduced, causing the CO2 to revert to a gas phase. The cinnamon essential oil, which is insoluble in gas-phase CO2, separates from the CO2 and is collected.
- Post-Processing: The collected cinnamon essential oil may undergo further refining processes, such as filtration or distillation, to remove any residual impurities and obtain a pure and high-quality oil.
Benefits of Supercritical CO2 Extraction for Cinnamon Essential Oil:
- Efficient Extraction of Volatile Compounds: Supercritical CO2 extraction allows for the efficient extraction of volatile compounds from cinnamon bark, including the essential oils responsible for the characteristic aroma and potential health benefits. The process preserves the delicate nature of these compounds, ensuring their retention in the extracted oil.
- Selective Extraction: Supercritical CO2 extraction offers selectivity in extracting the desired compounds while leaving behind unwanted components. By adjusting the temperature and pressure conditions, the extraction parameters can be optimized to target specific compounds, such as cinnamaldehyde and eugenol, which contribute to the unique properties of cinnamon essential oil.
- Solvent-Free and Safe: Supercritical CO2 extraction is a solvent-free process that utilizes carbon dioxide as the extraction medium. CO2 is non-toxic, non-flammable, and widely recognized as safe for use in food and pharmaceutical applications. This eliminates concerns about residual solvent contamination in the final cinnamon essential oil.
- Environmentally Friendly: Supercritical CO2 extraction is considered environmentally friendly as it reduces the use of harsh organic solvents and minimizes waste generation. CO2 used in the extraction process can be easily recycled and reused, contributing to a more sustainable extraction method.
Supercritical CO2 extraction is a highly effective and selective method for extracting cinnamon essential oil, capturing its distinctive aroma and potential health benefits. This extraction process allows for the efficient extraction of volatile compounds while maintaining the quality and purity of the final oil. With its solvent-free nature, environmental advantages, and ability to preserve the delicate volatile constituents, supercritical CO2 extraction is a preferred method for obtaining high-quality cinnamon essential oil for various applications in the food, fragrance, and pharmaceutical industries.