Coleus forkskohlii belongs to the Lamiaceae – lavender family.
Coleus forskohlii is a member of the mint and lavender family (lamiaceae) that has seen centuries of use in Ayurvedic medicine.
This species is a perennial herb with fleshy, fibrous roots that grows wild in the warm sub-tropical temperate areas of India, Myanmar and Thailand. The essential oil is obtained from the fresh root material by hydrodistillation. One of its many components, sesquiphellandrene, provides a pleasant, woody aroma and is valued for its diverse biological benefits.
This “power” herb has an active ingredient know as forskolin.
Coleus has been utilized in ayurvedic medicines for many years.
Forskolin’s most common mechanism of action is that it increases the amount of cyclic AMP (adenosine monophosphate) in cells by activation of an enzyme called adenylate cyclase.
Cyclic AMP (cAMP) is one of the most important secondary messengers in the cell. It is regarded as the most crucial cell regulating compounds.
Coleus forskohlii oil keeps pores clear and removes excess oil to help reduce blemishes.
Since centuries coleus oil has been used in ayurvedic medicine. It is extracted from the root of coleus forskohlii and obtained in the purest form by the latest Supercritical CO2 extraction method.
This method proves to be a great oil extraction method as compared to traditional methods.
Features of Coleus forskohlii Oil
- The dark brownish coleus oil contains forskolin, an active ingredient.
- Coleus forskohlii Oil gets a woody and pleasant aroma from sesquiphellandrene a component present in it.
- Coleus forskohlii Oil has a number of properties including broncholytic, anti asthamatic, chronotropic, inotropic, hypotensive, anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral, food additive, antioxidant and antiseptic properties.
- Coleus Oil helps in increasing cyclic AMP – adenosine monophosphate amount within the cells by activating the adenylate cyclase enzyme. In body cells, the cyclic AMP (cAMP) is the secondary messenger and play an important role. It is termed as a very crucial compound for regulating cells.
- Coleus oil has been used for many years in ayurvedic medicine.
- Traditionally, it has been used in treating insomnia, spasms in the intestine, diseases of the heart and lung, convulsions, asthma and in reducing blood pressure.
- Production of milk is also stimulated by this extract, it can treat schizophrenia, depression, bronchitis, erectile dysfunction, diabetes, cirrhosis, menstrual cramps, bronchitis, skin rash, weight loss, weight gain, eczema, ulcers and parasites in the intestine.
- Forskolin content helps in increasing occurrence of intracellular cAMP which is beneficial to athletes as it raises secretion of insulin, relaxes arteries, improves functioning of the thyroid hormone and metabolism and fat burning.
- Coleus has been used as an excellent digestive remedy in folk medicine in Asian countries. Besides being a good tonic for the heart, it helps in dilating blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. It has a stimulating effect on the digestive enzymes and encourages better food assimilation and digestion. In the small intestine it increases absorption of nutrients.
- Coleus oil can have clinical, biochemical and physiological effects including increasing insulin secretion, inhibiting aggregation of platelets, increasing lipolysis, preventing peroxidation of membrane liquids in hyperglycemia and steroid genesis and production of testosterone. As an excellent anti asthmatic and broncholytic, it is beneficial to the respiratory tract and genitourinary tract in men for treating vasculogenic impotency.
- Coleus forskohlii Oil has a positive influence in managing psoriasis and cellulite in skin, improving myocardial functions, improves coronary blood flow, inhibits skin pathogens growth, skin infections and dental caries. It can be used in making creams and also added to other essential oils. Infections in the urinary tract and bladder, pain, reproductive disorders, sperm production issues, gas, bloating, mal-absorption and other ailments can also be treated with coleus oil. Presence of forskolin in the oil helps in activating hormonal processes and combating thyroid issues, allergies and inflammation.
Coleus forskohlii Supplement Applications
Physiological, biochemical and clinical effects of forskolin include the following:
- Platelets: inhibition of aggregation.
- Red blood cells: prevention of membrane lipids peroxidation in hyperglycemia.
- Adipocytes: increased lipolysis.
- Pancreas: potentiation of insulin secretion.
- Thyroid: increase/potentiation THS, T3, T4.
- HPA axis: increase in CRH, ACTH, steroid genesis.
- Leydig cells: testosterone production.
- Respiratory tract: broncholytic, and anti-asthmatic.
- Genitourinary tract: treatment of vasculogenic impotency in men.
- Eye: decrease in intraocular pressure.
- Skin: management of cellulite, and psoriasis.
- Cardiovascular system: positive inotropic, chronotropic, and hypotensive effects, and improved coronary blood flow and myocardial functions.
Under normal circumstances, cAMP builds by adenylate cyclase activation due to hormonal stimulation at the cell receptor site. However, forskolin seems to bypass this reaction and allows for an increase in intracellular cAMP to occur.
Why is it important to increase cAMP levels?
Well, this benefits athletes. It induces relaxation of the arteries lowering blood pressure, raised insulin secretion (which can help drive carbohydrates and protein into muscle cells for energy and recovery), increased thyroid hormone function (which can help raise metabolic rate), and significantly increase lipolysis (fat burning).
Forskolin also benefits different cellular enzymes. The breaking up of fat for fuel (lipolysis) is actually regulated by cAMP. Forskolin enhances lipolysis and also inhibits fat storage.
This is very beneficial for individuals attempting to reduce bodyfat and get lean. Forskolin also allows fat loss to occur by stimulating thyroid hormone production, which controls metabolic process and can increase metabolic rate, which can result in additional fat loss.
Forskolin also stimulates digestive enzymes, which aid digestion. They are shown to increase nutrient absorption in the small intestine.
Forskolin has been shown to be safe and effective and can be used as a sports supplement.