Supercritical CO² extraction using CO² is an environmentally safe way to extract herbs without the use of heath or harsh chemicals. Peppermint CO2 extract uses CO² (the gas that plants turn into oxygen) to gently remove the powerful compounds found within the herbs. The extractors operate at high pressures of 300 bar(5000 psi) at very low extraction temperatures, (max 65°C) leading to products that are pure, and closest to the raw herb.
I believe that you are no stranger to peppermint. This special aromatic crop has the effect of sweating and antipyretic, assisting in the treatment of flu, headache, dizziness, throat, and gum swelling and pain while clearing the mind and eyesight. Now there is also a menthol (peppermint extract) in medicine, which is often used as a stimulant drug to assist in treating diseases. What is the difference between peppermint and menthol (peppermint CO2 extract)?
What is the difference between peppermint and menthol?
- Nature is different: Peppermint is a kind of Chinese herbal medicine. It is a treasure all over the body. It has extremely high application value and has almost no toxic side effects on the body. Menthol, however, is a chemical that is extracted from the leaves and stems of peppermint and appears as white crystals.
- The effect is different: Peppermint can assist in the treatment of colds, fever, sore throat, and headache, and can also relieve symptoms such as itchy skin, measles, and muscle pain. Menthol acts directly on the skin and mucous membranes. External use can relieve pain, relieve itching and reduce inflammation, promote blood circulation throughout the body, and relieve edema. Oral use can strengthen the spleen, nourish the stomach, etc.
What are the effects of menthol?
- Improve the flavor of food: Menthol is extracted from mint and has a strong aroma. Mint is often made into edible flavors to enhance the flavor of food. There are many foods on the market made of menthol, such as chewing gum or cake, which can satisfy people’s taste buds and stimulate appetite.
- Relieve swelling and pain: Menthol can selectively stimulate the cold sensory nerves of the skin and mucous membranes, promote people to feel cool temporarily, stimulate skin mucous membranes, and vasoconstriction, thereby speeding up blood circulation and relieving skin swelling, pain and itching.
- Anti-inflammatory and relieve itching: Menthol contains tea naphtholic acid, coupled with a strong fragrance, menthol’s spicy and cooling properties, external use can stimulate the skin and mucous membranes, can obviously feel cool, and can also reduce inflammation and relieve itching.
- Detoxify: Menthol can clear heat and detoxify. Oral administration can assist in the treatment of wind-heat and the common cold, and relieve sore throat, headache, dizziness, red eyes, and tinnitus caused by cold.
What are the contraindications to using menthol?
- Control the dosage: Menthol is a drug that cannot be used in large doses, with a maximum daily dose of 0.1 grams. Menthol has certain toxic effects on the body. Excessive use may paralyze the nerves, and even cause poisoning symptoms, such as diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, etc. The most terrible thing is that precious lives will be lost due to respiratory paralysis. Therefore, menthol should be taken with caution and in strict accordance with the doctor’s prescription.
- Infants and young children are prohibited from using: Menthol has a strong irritant, and the intestines and skin of infants and young children are delicate. If menthol is used without authorization, it will stimulate the skin and intestines, causing adverse symptoms. In addition, when using menthol, do not touch the eyes and mucous membranes, let alone drop menthol-containing nasal preparations into the nasal cavity of infants and young children, so as to avoid collapse.
- Kind Tips: Although menthol has powerful functions, it should not be used casually, so as not to bring irritating effects to the body, which can cause irreversible regrets in severe cases. In addition, people who always suffer from sweating, hyperactivity of liver-yang, and dryness of yin and blood should not take menthol; women who are breastfeeding should not take too much, because menthol inhibits milk secretion; People should use it with caution because the mint is fragrant and pungent. In addition, menthol has a refreshing and stimulating effect, so it cannot be used at night, otherwise, it will affect sleep.